JoSTC: the new Journal for the export control community
The European Studies Unit (ESU) of the University of Liège is delighted to announce the hosting of the Journal of Strategic Trade Control (JoSTC), a peer-reviewed and open-access journal with the intention of providing authoritative and thought-provoking sound resources to academics, practitioners and stakeholders involved in and concerned with strategic trade control issues (see website at https://www.jostc.org).
The topics covered by the Journal deal with the entire spectrum of strategic trade controls, from both the political and legal framework, all aspects of its developments and implementation to its specific features and compliance. Some examples of the main topics are: dual-use items trade, non-proliferation, sanctions, conventional weapons, illicit strategic trade, emerging technologies and torture-related items trade.
Founded in 2022, the JoSTC has two annual issues, rigorously peer-reviewed by at least two experts. Every issue will include five manuscripts, each of which will be consequentially published after a peer-review. Special issues might also be published. The Journal welcomes submissions on a rolling basis on all aspects of strategic trade control in – and from – all the world’s regions.
Veronica Vella, Researcher and PhD candidate at the Department of Political Science, European Studies Unit of the University of Liège, is the editor of the Journal. The Editorial Board reflects the diversity of the export control community and also represent different research centres in the field and different areas of research.
The Board is composed by:
- Pr. Dr. Quentin Michel (Full Professor, Department of Political Science, European Studies Unit, University of Liège);
- Dr. Ana Sánchez-Cobaleda (Lecturer and researcher, Department of International Public Law and International Relations, University of Barcelona);
- Dr. Johan Evers (Global Export Controls, Sanctions & Responsibly Supply Manager, Umicore);
- Dr. Christos Charatsis (Scientific Advisor, EU P2P Programme for Dual-Use Goods, European Commission, Joint Research Centre);
- Branislav Aleksic (Legal Counsel, Head of Department Foreign Trade Law and Corporate Security, Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft e.V);
- Dr. Ian J Stewart (Executive Director, James Martin Center for Non-proliferation Studies Washington DC);
- Dr. Filippo Sevini (Project leader, Strategic Trade Control for non-proliferation and Global Issues, European Commission, Joint Research Centre);
- Dr. Crystal Pryor (Vice President and Director of Research, Pacific Forum International);
- Dr. Machiko Kanetake (Associate Professor of Public International Law, Utrecht University School of Law);
- Dr. Diederik Cops (Senior Researcher, Flemish Peace Institute);
- Dr. Georgios Kolliarakis (Advisor for Research Strategy, Technology Security Defence, German Council on Foreign Relations)
- Valerie M. Lincy (Executive Director, Wisconsin Project on Nuclear Arms Control);
- Kevin Wolf (Partner, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld).